Friday, September 5, 2008

About the Land







  
 The farm property is about 15 acres.  A large open field of tall grass surrounded by fences on all sides, with trees bordering the top and 2 sides and bordered on the bottom with a long, lovely lake. 
 There is a gentle and consistent slope from the top to the bottom and a very cool, simple stable structure near the gate to the lake.    
I have not finished my readings about how to tell the kind of soil on the property...and, to be honest, I dont even have a trowel with which to dig a chunk of the soil!!  But, for now, the fields are covered with tall grass - due to that, my first lesson: There is a reason that farmers wear long pants and boots.  I wore Birkenstocks and linen shorts.  City Slicker.  I also brought my own peach...this year.

No comments: