Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Who's Farmer Ellen?

I'm a little bit crazy.  And super-passionate. I am a 10 year NY City-dweller who is sort-of obsessed with fixing what I see as a broken global food system and I have a unique opportunity to do something very local to make a difference.

My life is wrapped up in food issues - my company (with Lauren!) FEED Projects is focused on FEEDing the world and especially hungry children through school-feeding programs.  We just started a non-profit- the FEED Foundation - with vision of a sustainably-fed and well-nourished world.  I am also pursuing a Master's degree at NYU in Food Systems.  Clearly, obsessed with food and nutrition.

Now, I'm a farmer. The most crucial job in the whole food system. Yes, friends who are reading this, a farmer (with dirt and hoes).  Fully-accessorized in perfect farmer outfits, yes, but also attempting to grow real food that people (at least, my parents, friends and FEED team-mates) will EAT!!!

Luckily, it's the fall and I am starting at a good place in the life-cycle of a farm.  I will be able to prepare the soil for planting in the spring and spend the winter reading, researching, collecting seeds and mentors, and, obviously, a totally new "spring collection" of farm outfits. (It's all about the 'ralls, y'all!)

As part of this crazy venture, I am going to try to tell the honest-to-goodness story of my experiences at this blog.  All the "dirty" details (and LOTS of puns) of going from the total NY city girl that I am to being a land-working, bounty-producing and, hopefully, even-tanned farmer.

Please laugh at me and cheer me on by reading this blog every once and a while. Please also tell anyone you know who has the slightest clue about growing anything to comment and share wisdom!  And lastly, starting thinking about how good it will feel to help a small (overwhelmed) farmer harvest her first crop because I might resort to begging for you to come help around this time next year!!

Thanks, Farmer Ellen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A Farming Poem for Ellen:

A city girl loved to eat,
Accomplished an impressive feat,
15 acres all her own,
Tons of dirt waiting to be sown,
Hooray for Farmer Ellen,
Bounties of food soon she'll be sellin'...

Derrick said...

Ellen you're nuts! I love it! I can't imagine the experiences to be had on the farm. You might consider reading Henry David Thoreau while you're working the land. Best of luck and I'll be following your adventure.
-Derrick (MGs bud from BCH)

ps I'll be sure to share this with my girls