Saturday, September 20, 2008

Team FEED on the Farm


Lesson: it's great to have help!!!
Lauren and Colleen, my FEED Teammates, ventured out of the West Village to put in a few hours of manual labor with me.  Yay!  

We arrived at the property to find that a generous benefactor with a tractor had mowed down all of the tall grass!! This left the whole property covered in hay clippings.  I need to find out if this windfall is a perfect cover for the soil in the winter...or if I should now rent a tiller and grind the clippings into the soil.

Our projects for the day were to build on my small compost heap by raking some piles of grass that will be added through the winter.  
We also screwed some cute red hooks into the wall of the stable to hang my growing collection of farm implements (and the requisite FEED bag!!)

I finally found a patch of the ground where I could dig into the soil and investigate if it was good quality for growing.  From my cursory readings of soil books, I seem to have great quality clay-loam soil...a bit rocky, but, in general, excellent.  Watch and learn:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the photo with the FEED bag (and the photo of team FEED, of course)!